Friday, February 17, 2012

The ACT



I have to brag on big red a bit because not only do I think she's the greatest kid in the world, but every day she impresses me in a new way and I am so proud of her!

I have always tried to push her to be the opposite of me socially when I was her age (I was devastatingly shy) and encourage her in areas I excelled in (academically) and enjoyed (sports). So far I've been successful in creating a child who got in trouble for talking throughout elementary school, but now in middle school is condsidered a joy by teachers for her insightful ideas, participation, and leadership. She's still learning when to stop at home, as in arguing her points in why she should have the last word with me, shouldn't have to keep her room clean, or help with other household chores.....but she chooses to spend her free time in ways I approve of (reading, writing, educational programs), so she pretty much gets away with murder.

A few month's ago she was recognized by Duke's TIP program for outstanding SAT scores and was invited to take the ACT as a 7th grader, in which she attempted for the first time this past week. I'm estatic that she was asked to participate as she is following in my footsteps here as well. I didn't force her to prepare for the test, in fact, I didn't even break out the practice guide before. All I advised her of was that I took this in the 7th grade and that she would be okay, piece of cake. Two of her school buddies also took the test and both proclaimed to her after the test was over that they were amazed they stayed awake for the whole thing as their parents forced them to practice all night before and they were severely owing a sleep debt. Afterwards she confided in me that she wasn't stressed at all and actually enjoyed the test and agreed with me that when she retakes this test in high school she won't have the same stressful, nervous fears that might otherwise have had pervaded. No matter how she scores, I would call that success!

No comments:

Post a Comment